Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bought an older house (1950's) pulled off plastic tiles. Now I have yellow adhesive how do I get it off?

I have a sander and adhesive remover but so far so slow going almost feels not worth it any suggestions?Bought an older house (1950's) pulled off plastic tiles. Now I have yellow adhesive how do I get it off?
I have run into this problem numerous times.The best solution is to purchase a propane torch and a paint scrapper preferably a five in one from the paint department and heat the adhesive and scrape it off.Just be careful not to burn down the place.I guarantee this will work.Then you can use the adhesive to remove the residue.Bought an older house (1950's) pulled off plastic tiles. Now I have yellow adhesive how do I get it off?
The adhesive residual is easily removed by applying contact cement thinners (solvent type) with a soft cloth. Saturate the area with thinners scrubbing lightly with a paintbrush. Remove with a soft cloth and rinse well with water.





Try this in a small area. Try to find a thinner that is non-flammable. If you can get only a flammable type best not to have the furnace or heater on.
Sanding is slow. I always busted out the old plaster and hung new drywall up or you could get 3/8'' board and hang over the existing.

No comments:

Post a Comment