Friday, February 19, 2010

Is there an electrically non-conductive adhesive I can use to bind metal and plastic?

I would like to connect an LCD to a solderless breadboard. I'm planning to use an IDE cable to connect the 16 pins on the LCD's header to the breadboard. However, I need to add pins to the connector that will plug into the breadboard, and I want the pins to be secure. Any suggestions on adhesives?Is there an electrically non-conductive adhesive I can use to bind metal and plastic?
good old epoxy should do the trick, almost all glues are nonconductiveIs there an electrically non-conductive adhesive I can use to bind metal and plastic?
There are also double-sided tapes of various thicknesses. This has the benefit of being removable later if you should want to reuse the breadboard for some other project. We use double-sided foam tapes in several assemblies.
I have used hot glue from a hot glue gun to do this exact type of project. A hot glue gun can be found CHEAP in the hobby or craft section of any large department store. Hardware places like Home Depot and the like charge way more. You can get the same exact gun (maybe a different color plastic because it is in the hobby section) for extremely cheap. I bought mine (with glue sticks) for about $2.
5 or 6 minute epoxy
Just use a very small dab of epoxy and bake it to harden - used in industry all the time.
All of the following work:


hot melt glue, gorilla glue(Polyurethane glue), epoxy resin(2part mix), and super glue. The polyurethane glue will probably adhere best to the plastic and metal.
heat glue, gorilla glue(home depot), epoxy resin(2part mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment