Friday, February 19, 2010

Whats the best adhesive for plastic?

Kind of an odd question, but I dropped my xbox 360 controller on the floor and the edge of the handle (where the grey underside of the controller meets the handle split. Basically what happened was the screw shafts on the inside broke apart. I have all the pieces and screws but I need an adhesive that will hold the shafts together once I put a screw in. Regular super or crazy glue comes apart when I try to twist the screws in. Any thoughts?Whats the best adhesive for plastic?
I'd use an ABS Cement... available at ANY good hobby store. That should WELD the shafts back to the plastic.





My second choice would be a 2 part epoxy.Whats the best adhesive for plastic?
Testors model cement.It's a solvent cement,designed for plastics.


I would suggest using the type in the tube,because it's thicker.


Put a small drop on one piece,and let it sit for 60 seconds to soften the plastic.put the other piece in place and let the unit sit for several


hours.The cement will physically weld the pieces together.Pick it up


at Walmart or any hobby store.
Contact adhsives are typically used for plastics but most plastic glues don't have a lot of strength. You could look into using an epoxy resin glue to re-enforce as well as bond the items together.

No comments:

Post a Comment