Sunday, February 21, 2010

Please, help me determine if there is a simple UV Adhesive that I can use to bond all kinds of Plastics?

I've been researching the web and there are many suppliers for industrial applications, yet I guess those are expen$ive and I just want an adhesive that will truly work and not having to buy more epoxies than I have bought already, so I understand a UV Adhesive could be the answer to my research...


And a true bond for the plastics I am working on with.


By ';simple'; I mean something that has no technical complications and need no Curing equipment or machinery and can be bought at a reasonable price below $50 at a retailer (HomeDepot or such).


Thanks!Please, help me determine if there is a simple UV Adhesive that I can use to bond all kinds of Plastics?
First, let's debunk the misconception that a UV curing acrylic (or even cationic epoxies and vinyl ethers) are well suited to bond plastics. This is quite a generalization. there are UV systems suitable for bonding plastics- I have mentioned both Dymax 429 and Loctite 3321 in past posts as being great plastic adhesives. 3321 is used to bond plastic pieces that make up medical devices. Many of the 400 and 600 series from Dymax are also used for this app. So, these would be bonding tygon to other plastics. so on, so forth. Most other systems are not really well suited. All the UV companies would much rather sell a glass or metal application due to complexity of application





So many people want to bond plastics together. bottom line, it is a SOB to bond these well. the first thing we do in the industry is start looking for primers. there are some etchants made for olefins. they are difficult to use. then, there are the solvent based systems like the ones offered by lord. Next, we start looking at plasma and flame/corona pretreatments. (notice I have not even selected the glue yet). You really need to select one of these, no matter what the plastic.





Polyethylenes and polypros are super tough to stick to. It is like sticking something to wax. Many times, these systems are welded with heat or ultrasonic systems.





Now for the glues we use- acrylics and methacrylics. the methacrylics from 3M (8005 and 8010) are about as good as it will get. I don't believe you can find someone to order this for you. Give it a try, though. The ITW plexus systems are also pretty good. You are looking at $40-50 for 50mL. Once in a while, a urethane from Lord can work (santoprene with primers could work). For acrylic and ABS plastics, most people either use solvent welding or a solvent based acrylic.





Your only chance based on the parameters you have given is a 2 part urethane with a ton of scrubbing and roughing up of the surface prior to bonding. At that, I give you a 25% chance that this will work for ';any'; plastic. sometimes it will based on the plastic, most of the time it will not.





Lastly, would people stop answering gorilla glue as a solution to every (*%26amp;)^%26amp;( adhesive problem? it has its place- on wood and sometimes metal fixtured during cure. Go use gorilla glue as a fix for urinary tract infections. that suggestion makes about as much sense to me as the ones offered up in the adhesives questions/solutionsPlease, help me determine if there is a simple UV Adhesive that I can use to bond all kinds of Plastics?
Hi abcallasisimple,





Have you tried Gorilla glue ( lol I just call it monkey glue)? You just need some water %26amp; Gorilla glue. I've used in on wood, glass (broke my favorite china dish), my bed frame. I used C-clamps to hold the bed frame together. My oldest brother used it on his pvc pipes.


I got it at Ace Hardware store ( besides the guys here always help me out), but I am pretty sure Menard's carries it also. Maybe they can tell you if it would work on plastic.
You want to try Bond 527, it is a glue that is made specifically for surfaces that don't have any ';grab';..metals, glass, plastic. Dries clear, ';cures'; in about 24-48 hours just being out in the open. Runs about 3-5 dollars per tube. Also has tips available for fine applications
  • myspace pics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment